On The Spot.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On The Spot.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

iPod Touch, The next DS?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Could iPod Touch/iPhone be the next DS?
Yes
iPod Touch, The next DS? I_vote_lcap17%iPod Touch, The next DS? I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
No
iPod Touch, The next DS? I_vote_lcap33%iPod Touch, The next DS? I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Only if Apple could get the large game producers on there side.
iPod Touch, The next DS? I_vote_lcap50%iPod Touch, The next DS? I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Number of posts : 208
Location : The Cuth Star, My army will destroy you all Inferior beings..
Warning :
iPod Touch, The next DS? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100iPod Touch, The next DS? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-12

iPod Touch, The next DS? Empty
PostSubject: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 12:52 pm

On many sites I have seen the iPod Touch proclaimed to be the next Nintendo DS. Along with this rumor has it that Nintendo may make games or give the right to make games to Apple for the iPod Touch and iPhone. Pesonally, I belive it could be with cleevr marketing and big name game producers on their side. I personally would love to see a shrunk down animal crossing on iPod Touch, all your animal friends and smaller town = smaller hassle! Discuss
Back to top Go down
BillyBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Number of posts : 124
Warning :
iPod Touch, The next DS? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100iPod Touch, The next DS? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Only if Apple could get the large game producers on there side, but if they do that it would not be a iphone.

To be fair i do not like the i phone.
I do not like phones that much because of all the radio waves that it produces.
I'll stick to making calls on my laptop via internet! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Warning :
iPod Touch, The next DS? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100iPod Touch, The next DS? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 pm

But you ca'nt carry a Laptop in you're pocket!
But they would put it on iPhone, any game on iPod Touch comes out on iPhone.
Back to top Go down
antlion
Common Poster
Common Poster
antlion

Number of posts : 251
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 1:07 pm

no way. Nintendo would never make games for a potential rival.
Back to top Go down
http://onthespotmedia.weebly.com
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 pm

I know, but if the DSi did flop they probably would, if they had any sense but Nintendo are far to arrogant to do that!
Back to top Go down
Velico_94
Active Poster
Active Poster

Number of posts : 128
Location : Space. It's big. You may think it's a long way to the fridge, but that's just peanuts to space.
Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Nintendo wouldn't just jump ship to iPod Touch if the DSi flops (which it won't - the brand name is too valuable). They've been through the Nintendo 64 and GameCube era without defecting at all to the competition.

Can't remember who said it, but apparently: "When [Nintendo] stops making consoles, [Nintendo] will stop making games."

The iPod Touch looks like a great multimedia device, but it has no chance against the vidoe game giants. The handheld market is already dominated by Nintendo and Sony; Apple will have to perform a miracle before they have a chance of shoehorning their way to leadership of the market. I can't see any developers worth mentioning supporting the iPod Touch. All it has is motion-sensors and a touch-sensitive screen, two features Nintendo has already implemented and monopolised when it comes to handhelds. I can see casual-oriented companies getting behind this one (Majesco, especially), but otherwise the Touch will only be recognised as a multimedia gizmo than a competent handheld competitor.
Back to top Go down
ravinrabbid123
ravinrabbid123

Number of posts : 279
Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 6:04 am

Quote :
The iPod Touch looks like a great multimedia device, but it has no chance against the vidoe game giants. The handheld market is already dominated by Nintendo and Sony; Apple will have to perform a miracle before they have a chance of shoehorning their way to leadership of the market. I can't see any developers worth mentioning supporting the iPod Touch. All it has is motion-sensors and a touch-sensitive screen, two features Nintendo has already implemented and monopolised when it comes to handhelds. I can see casual-oriented companies getting behind this one (Majesco, especially), but otherwise the Touch will only be recognised as a multimedia gizmo than a competent handheld competitor.

actually, the ipod touch is now becoming increasingly a more popular "handheld" than psp (and possibly ds too). there are more games for ipod touch and iphone than there are for ds and psp put together, and are considerably lower priced.

to quote the daily telegraphs article, the quote comes from apple's vice president of iphone and ipod market Greg Joswiak:

"as a gaming device, the iPod touch allows developers to do things they just can't do on any other platform... It goes way beyond what you can do on a device like [the Nintendo DS], which is old school gaming".

old school?!

"...It changes the economics, it changes the entire business. The prices of our games are so much lower [than Nintendo and Sony]. Whenyou're getting games for just a few pounds, people tend to experiment more, because it's not just a major investment"

wait, there's more...

"...devices such as the iPod touch are redefining the future of gaming. With 1,500 games available from the App store, we have more games than the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP combined, and then some...."What's amazing is that we're just now at the beginning of it. Imagine where we'll be six months or a year from now."

OMG.

this is the future........

iPod Touch, The next DS? IPhoneplayingSuperMario

Then....

iPod Touch, The next DS? Rip-ds1

:pale:
Back to top Go down
antlion
Common Poster
Common Poster
antlion

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 8:20 am

ravinrabbid123 wrote:
actually, the ipod touch is now becoming increasingly a more popular "handheld" than psp (and possibly ds too). there are more games for ipod touch and iphone than there are for ds and psp put together, and are considerably lower priced.

Perhaps the PSP, but it wouldn't stand up to the DS
Back to top Go down
ravinrabbid123
ravinrabbid123

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 9:24 am

you don't understand!! it's the end of the world as we know it!!

apple will now rule THE WORLD!!!

iPod Touch, The next DS? Ipod_overthrow

iPod Touch, The next DS? Ipod_whipping

bolt
Back to top Go down
Velico_94
Active Poster
Active Poster

Location : Space. It's big. You may think it's a long way to the fridge, but that's just peanuts to space.
Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 1:20 pm

Remind me, was that Futurama or The Simpsons? Can't remember for the life of me.

But what makes the iPod Touch so much better? Motion-sensing and touch-sensitivity has been monopolised by Nintendo already. I fail to see the potential in the Touch that hasn't already been realised in the past.

And remember, numbers count for nothing. PlayStation had a horde of launch titles, yet only a few were worth mentioning. Nintendo 64 had two: Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64, and both became fond favourites of fans in the States.
Back to top Go down
ravinrabbid123
ravinrabbid123

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 3:05 am

Quote :
Remind me, was that Futurama or The Simpsons? Can't remember for the life of me.

dude, the guy's skin is YELLOW!! and both pics are from the same episode. now take a guess.

back to the point. yes, but touch screens have been going for quite bit (what with satnavs and those smart boards coming in before ds) and anyway, what with the obvious features of an iPhone (you can call people on them *gasp*) and the fact that the iPod Touch is well... an iPod (which are selling EXTREMELY WELL i'll have you know.) and with other features on the iPod Touch that arent on the Ds or PSP, like "the multi-touch screen and accelerometer", which "allows for a wide variety of playful fun." (quote came from somewhere of the net, Mac News, or summat), this thing can become bigger than ds in a few years, maybe sooner! you just have to face facts. Sony doesnt really have anything to worry about. they can make money by making new LCD HD 42" (touch screen??) tellies. Nintendo has only one hope... to make a new (and BETTER) handheld, or big console (like wii, but again, better. not that the wii is crap, but it could be better. not saying how though, thats a different matter.)

however, seeing as the iPod touch has no buttins and games are only controlled by touch, that might work as a disadvantage to them. but, people will ultimately get used to that.

The future of gaming, right now, is laying in the hands of apple. unless nintendo can bounce back with a new console (like a virtual- boy remake. they have the technology now!) they can kiss their sweet shigsy goodbye.
Back to top Go down
Velico_94
Active Poster
Active Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Urgh, silly me.

I refuse to believe it, simply because it's all been done before. iPod Touch has very little going for it in terms of originality. Plus, they don't have the cred that Nintendo and Sony do. Apple is only seen as the "guys who made Mac and iPod". Not a reputed game developer. With the market monopolised by Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony, it's going to take an absolute miracle for the Touch (which isn't even strictly a game console) to bite into the video game portion of the market. Sure, it'll sell very well - but not in the sense that Nintendo and Sony will be biting their nails in terror.

The reason so many people are certain this thing's gonna take over the market is because Apple wants you to think that. Apple has one of the best marketing teams in the world - but will purchasers be convinced this is a serious competitor? I'm not sure - I mean, where is the killer line-up? PlayStation and Xbox had the games to back-up their extensive advertising. Does the Touch?

Besides, has Apple even got a presence in the Japanese market? If not, they'll have no chance.
Back to top Go down
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Nintendo do have a potential competitor, the ipod touch has a great touch screen, you try to use the ds without a stylus and it won't work, the touch screens are cheap and undersensitive. Sure they worked at the release point and could still work (from sales point of view), but if Apple got there big guns out and put throught a heavy marketing campaign, then Nintendo could say goodnight, release a GameRectangle with some appaling voice acting mario then release a Nintendo Puu which will sell loads. They will return, sell loads, get arrogant and history will repeat itself. But can you imagine, the iPod touch may be more expensive than the DSi at £160, but with more memory, better touch screen and built in iPod. Also, anyone who likes the DS and has a contract mobile, (quite allot), would be able to buy an iPhone for £99 on contract, geta built in iPod, internet access, camera, video, sensetive touch screen and loads more for £30 quid less than upgrading to the DSi! Anyone without wanting a contract phone and needs persuading to buy an iPod touch instead of a DSi, apart from most of the points i've already made read this, what would you prefer, a cruddy MP3 with practically no memory or a 8gigabyte/16gigabyte iPod!

P.S, the japenise market isn't the whole world!

Bradley wrote:

I refuse to believe it, simply because it's all been done before. iPod Touch has very little going for it in terms of originality. Plus, they don't have the cred that Nintendo and Sony do. Apple is only seen as the "guys who made Mac and iPod".

Apple have a very expensive, classy and quality brand name, not some cheap taccy rep. like nintendo!
Back to top Go down
ravinrabbid123
ravinrabbid123

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 pm

adam has a point.

it is just a potential competitor, but potential or not, Apple is still a competitor to the gaming markets!

maybe all this will just blow over, maybe this is just a fad.

only time will tell....
Back to top Go down
Velico_94
Active Poster
Active Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Adam, you're looking at this with a pretty one-dimensional point-of-view.

Apple can do all it wants when it comes to marketing, but Nintendo's big advertising guns have already been deployed. Nintendo's promotion of the Nintendo DS is simply genius; the DS screams family friendly fun, which is what the handheld market is all about. They've monopolised the casual gaming market. The only reason the PlayStation 2 has a reasonable chunk is because it came out four years before the DS! Apple had better deploy the hydrogen bomb, 'cause Nintendo's weaponry is pretty damn formidable.

Never mind the damn DSi, the DS Lite is still going to carry on selling like hot cakes.

And the Japanese market is second only to the American market, which isn't shabby at all. Our gaming market is minuscule in comparison.

And I think you misunderstand my meaning. You think gamers are going to think of Apple as classy and valuable? Nintendo still holds a lot of cred, whereas Apple has zilch as far as video games are concerned. The DS survived throughout 2005 because of the Nintendo name - it was only in 2006 when casual gamers jumped on the Nintendo bandwagon. What are Apple going to do if they have the same initial problems?

iPod Touch is going to do really well. There is no doubt about it. But in no way is it going to beat the DS - I think you are under-estimating it. Sales for it are drawing close to 100 million! Some multi-media device with a selection of games isn't going to take down a giant.

The Touch will never take DS's crown. Might beat it in sales, but what does it matter? Consumers will probably have the DS in one pocket and the Touch in the other.
Back to top Go down
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:16 am

'Adam, you're looking at this with a pretty one-dimensional point-of-view.'

I can see what you say, but games and the higher quality of the iPod touch own nintendo's ass, If the games were right I would spent mu money on an iPhone with everything at a better quality than the DS.

iPod Touch, The next DS? Page6_blog_entry9_19
Back to top Go down
Velico_94
Active Poster
Active Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:20 am

But a higher quality console doesn't always equate to the best one. PSP is massively superior, yet I would choose DS in a heartbeat, thanks to the developers backing it. As far as I'm aware, the Touch doesn't have any big name companies supporting it (apart from Sega, but I doubt they would start developing exclusively for the Touch).
Back to top Go down
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 6:38 am

You don't need a developer developing exclusively for you, look at PS2, all its games are on the other consoles too. It kickend Nintendo's arrogant arse goodbye!
Back to top Go down
Velico_94
Active Poster
Active Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 12:13 pm

That's totally untrue. The PlayStation 2 is chock full of exclusives. I could list endless reams of 'em.
Back to top Go down
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 12:02 pm

Name a few... I've never heard of any and my brothers got a mountain of PS2 games.
Back to top Go down
Velico_94
Active Poster
Active Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 10:07 am

The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy.
Final Fantasy X, X-2 & XII
ICO
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War I & II
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 (technically)
Disgaea 1 & 2
Tales of Legendia & the Abyss
Silent Hill 2 (but the Restless Dreams update was on Xbox)
Devil May Cry trilogy
Onimusha series
Lots of Dynasty Warriors games
Soul Calibur III
Killzone
Shin Megami Tensei games (including Persona 3)
Dark Cloud 1 & 2

Need I mention any more?
Back to top Go down
antlion
Common Poster
Common Poster
antlion

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 10:33 am

You had the cheek to include Killzone? For shame...
Back to top Go down
ravinrabbid123
ravinrabbid123

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 10:35 am

hang on a minute.... how the hell did we end up here?!?!

scratch
Back to top Go down
SirAdamSugar
Common Poster
Common Poster

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:24 am

The argument just kept going...
Back to top Go down
ravinrabbid123
ravinrabbid123

Warning :

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 7:10 am

the other day, we were on amazon hunting for XMAS PREZZIES!! YAY XMAS!!

*ahem* sorry... anyway, on amazon. my brother wanted an ipod touch or an iphone. mum looked at them and got annoyed cos of the price of the iphone, and when she looked at some pics of the ipod touch playing games on it, my mum said...

"OMG! that's a DS, isn't it?"

my brother got annoyed, and i thought 'if my mum thinks that's a ds, then that has to count for it being a ds replacement.' i don't think it should, but it's similar (xept for the lack of buttons and 2 screens.) i don't actually know where my point is going now... (off the rails, probably)
but just thought id say...

also on that same day, my mum asked what a PS2 was... Shocked Shocked Shocked
scratch

iPod Touch, The next DS? Facepalm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: iPod Touch, The next DS?   iPod Touch, The next DS? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

iPod Touch, The next DS?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
On The Spot. :: Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: